1. Mixing bowl
2. Plastic or metal mixing spoon
3. Pipette (This is for your essential oils, most store bought oils will have a dispensing top you can use instead.)
4. Canning jars
1. Take 2 cups of salt/sugar and put into a mixing bowl and combine 1 cup of oil with the salt/sugar mix well.
2. After salt and oil are mixed put in 8 drops of essential oils in whatever scent(s) you choose. Mix well.
3. Add one drop of desired food color and mix together.
4. After everything is mixed together spoon the mixture into the canning jars.
Yield: 1 pint or 2 1/3 cups
- Some extra virgin olive oils can interfere with the smell of the scrub it is best to use a carrier oil with little or no smell; sunflower oil or grape seed oil work best.
- Organic sugar usually costs more than Epsom salts and doesn’t have the same skin care qualities. However it is a finer texture to your scrub.
- If you have never mixed essential oils before it is best to stick with citrus scents they mix best together or use one basic scent like lavender or peppermint. (I like to make grapefruit – I put in 6 drops of the grapefruit oil and 2 drops of lemon. *Lemon is a great oil to mix with other citrus scents and eucalyptus.)
- It is best to choose a color that is corresponding with your scent i.e. pink for grapefruit
• Packaging Ideas:
- For larger groups of people it is easy to spit the mixture up in to 1/2-pint jars and display the gifts in a large basket.
- You can decorate to jars like you would if you made jam by putting scraps of fabric between the lid and the jar rim. You can also tie ribbons around the jar rim and loop a label with the scent through the ribbon. Circular jars lend themselves well to sticker labels as well.